How Quitting Social Media Changed My Life | 2024

How Quitting Social Media Changed My Life

For a while, I was spending 3-4 hours a day on social media. It started as a fun way to pass time, but it quickly turned into a habit that made my life harder in ways I didn’t expect.


Losing Focus and Feeling Stressed

The more time I spent scrolling through posts and videos, the harder it became to focus on anything else. Whether it was studying, working, or even just spending time with my family, my mind was always distracted by my phone. I felt like I couldn’t concentrate on anything.


As Cal Newport, the author of Digital Minimalism, said, “You cannot expect an app to respect your time if you don't respect it yourself.” This made me realize that I wasn’t respecting my own time.


Social media also started to stress me out. I’d see other people’s perfect lives online, and it made me compare myself to them. Coming from a middle-class family, I’ve always tried to work hard and be productive, but social media made me feel like I wasn’t doing enough or that I wasn’t good enough.


Instead of helping me relax, social media made me anxious and unhappy.


Regretting the Time I Wasted


After spending hours scrolling, I’d often feel regret. I knew I was wasting my time, but I couldn’t stop. Johann Hari, in his book *Stolen Focus*, said, "We live in an attention economy, and our attention is the currency being fought over." This quote helped me understand that social media was taking away my time and attention without giving me anything valuable in return.


I’d tell myself I’d only spend a few minutes, but those minutes would turn into hours, leaving me frustrated and disappointed in myself.


How I Found a Way Out


I knew I needed to change, but it wasn’t easy. After several failed attempts, I finally found success with the help of digital wellbeing tools on my phone and some motivational YouTube videos. These resources helped me set limits on my social media use and focus on what really mattered.


I started using digital wellbeing features to control how much time I spent on social media each day. I also watched YouTube videos that gave tips on reducing screen time and staying motivated. Jaron Lanier, a virtual reality pioneer, once said in his book *Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now*, "Social media is not a tool that is just waiting to be used. It has its own agenda, and we need to recognize that." This quote helped me realize that I needed to take control of my own time.


Slowly, I started to regain control over my life. I deleted apps that were wasting my time and focused on my work and personal goals. Gradually, I started feeling more focused, less stressed, and much happier.

 

The Benefits of Quitting Social Media

Once I quit my social media habit, I noticed several positive changes:

More Productivity: Without constant distractions, I started getting more done. I became more efficient and finished my tasks on time.

Better Focus: My ability to concentrate improved. I could now focus on one task at a time without feeling the urge to check my phone.

More Time for What Matters: Suddenly, I had more time to invest in things that really mattered, like my career, learning new skills, or just enjoying hobbies.

Less Stress: With less time spent comparing myself to others, I felt more content with my life. My stress levels dropped, and I felt more at peace.

No More Procrastination: I stopped putting things off. Instead of wasting time on social media, I started getting things done, which made me feel more accomplished.


Final Thoughts:

Quitting social media wasn’t easy, but it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I realized that my time and mental health are too valuable to waste on endless scrolling. If you’re feeling stuck like I was, know that you can break free too. With the right tools and a little motivation, you can take control of your life and focus on what really matters. Your time is precious—don’t let social media take it away from you.


References:

Newport, C. (2019). Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World*. Portfolio.

Hari, J. (2022). Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention—and How to Think Deeply Again*. Crown Publishing Group.

Lanier, J. (2018). Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now*. Henry Holt and Co.


 Disclaimer:

The quotes and references provided are for educational and illustrative purposes only. The content of this blog is based on personal experience and should not be taken as professional advice. Always consult reliable sources and experts for accurate information.


Photo Credits:

The cover photo used in this blog was created with the assistance of Meta AI. The image visually represents the theme of breaking free from social media and embracing a more peaceful and focused life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAUNI YOJANA

Title: The Legends of History: Unveiling the Most Significant People of All Time